As Alaska continues to navigate the pandemic and begins to reopen, thread is here for you and your family. Below are some resources and updates to support you and your family during these uncertain times.
thread’s statewide offices are physically closed, but we are open for business and providing all services via telephone and/or through distance delivery.
If you need assistance with child care referrals, contact thread at 800.278.3723 between 9 am and 5 pm, or use our online search tool. We can provide you with the latest information on which programs are open and have vacancies.
The Municipality of Anchorage has launched a map showing the status of early childhood education programs in the municipality.
- Advance Child Tax Credit Payments in 2021: The Child Tax Credit in the American Rescue Plan (ARP) Act, provides the largest Child Tax Credit ever to America’s working families. To learn more about this program, visit www.childtaxcredit.gov.
- Schedule Your COVID-19 Vaccine Appointment
- State of Alaska COVID-19 Vaccine Resources
- COVID-19 Vaccination: Clinical Resources for Each COVID-19 Vaccine (CDC)
- State COVID-19 Vaccination Distribution Plans (Child Care Aware of America)
- COVID-19 Vaccines for Children and Teens (CDC)
- Information about COVID-19 Vaccines for People who Are Pregnant or Breastfeeding (CDC)
Returning to Child Care
- Plans for Families if Caregivers Become Ill (State of Alaska) [PDF]
- Is It Safe to Bring My Child to Child Care During COVID-19? (Child Care Aware of America)
- Health and Safety Measures for Families (Child Care Aware of America) [PDF]
- Your On-the-Go Child Care Consumer Education Brochure Suite (Child Care Aware of America)
- Resources for Enrolling Infants/Toddlers in Child Care for the First Time (Child Care Aware of America) [PDF]
- Resources for Enrolling a Child in School-Age Care (Child Care Aware of America) [PDF]
- New Virtual Call Center reduces processing time for Alaskans seeking public assistance (State of Alaska)
- Creating a COVID-19 Family Plan – in multiple languages (Alaska DHSS)
- Back to Child Care Following Shelter in Place (ZERO TO THREE)
- COVID-19 Planning Considerations: Guidance for School Re-entry (American Academy of Pediatrics)
Health & Wellness
- Denali KidCare: find out if you are eligible by texting KidCare to 898-211.
- FDA Updates on Hand Sanitizers with Methanol (FDA)
- Keep Children Healthy During the COVID-19 Pandemic (CDC)
- Self-Care Guide for Parents (The Integration Group)
- Difference Between Flu and COVID-19 (Child Care Aware of America)
- Families, Lay Your Burdens Down: Supporting Your Children (NAEYC)
- Talking to Young Children about Wearing Masks (ZERO TO THREE)
- Help Me Grow Alaska
- COVID-19 and Pregnancy & Breastfeeding (CDC)
- Resources for Children and Youth with Special Care Needs (Alaska DHSS)
- Preparing for Emergencies with Brain Building Tips (Vroom)
- Helping Children Cope with Traumatic Events (Child Care Aware of America)
- Helping Your Child During the Pandemic (National Center for Pyramid Model Innovations) [PDF]
- Let’s Talk About Feelings (Child Care Aware of America and Vroom)
- Together We Are Safer – Youth Safety During COVID-19 (Video by Alaska Children’s Trust)
- Social Connections (Video by Alaska Children’s Trust)
- Concrete Supports (Video by Alaska Children’s Trust)
- Child Safety and Well-Being During COVID-19 (Office of Children’s Services)
- Grief (Sesame Street Toolkit)
- More Resources (Johns Hopkins IDEALS Institute)
- Safe Physical Activity During Social Distancing (Video by Play Every Day)
- Play Every Day (Alaska DHSS)
- Play & Learn Ideas [PDF]
- Health at Home PE & Health Resources for Parents (CATCH)
- Yoga Ed Youtube Channel
- Alo Yoga Youtube Channel
- Free Yoga Resources for Children and Families (OMTastic Yoga)
- Movement & Mindfulness Videos (GoNoodle)
- Free Online Mindfulness Classes for Kids: (Mindful Schools)
Talking to Children About COVID-19
- Book: Something Strange Happened in My City (Dr. Shu-Chen Jenny Yen)
- Conversations that Matter: Talking with Children About Big World Issues (NAEYC)
- Book: Our Smallest Warriors, Our Strongest Medicine: Overcoming COVID-19 (Children’s Book from Center for American Indian Health)
- Book: My Hero is You (Children’s Book from the World Health Organization)
- A Guide to COVID-19 and Early Childhood Development (Center on the Developing Child, Harvard University)
- Just for Kids comic about COVID-19 (NPR)
- Talking to Kids About the Coronavirus (Child Mind Insitute)
- How to Talk to Your Kids About Coronavirus (PBS Kids)
- Resources for Supporting Children’s Emotional Well-being During the COVID-19 Pandemic (Child Trends)
- Safety Net (Alaska Housing Finance Corporation): AHFC will temporarily reduce monthly rent paid by AHFC tenants who have lost income due to COVID-19, and AHFC will pay landlords the difference.
- Sign Up for Mortgage Relief Announcements (Alaska Housing Finance Corporation): AHFC is slated to receive an estimated $50 million to assist homeowners impacted by COVID-19. Sign up to receive upcoming announcements, including eligibility and the application process.
- Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB) Federal assistance with internet bills – GetEmergencyBroadband.org
Tell Us Your Story
thread wants to hear from you about how COVID-19 is affecting your family. Share your story.