Quality Child Care at a Glance
Consider the following when you are looking for licensed, safe, healthy, and playful care.
- Does this program have an Alaska child care license?
- What education or special training has the child care teacher received?
- What is his/her experience working with children?
- Are there clearly written policies and expectations?
- How does this program engage parents?
- Are children cared for at all times, even while sleeping?
- Are cleaning supplies, medicines, and harmful items kept out of children’s reach?
- How are children kept safe in the outdoor area?
- What is the plan for responding to emergencies and disasters?
- Is there someone present who has CPR and first aid training?
- What healthy meals and snacks are offered?
- Is the children’s restroom clean and sanitary?
- Is the hand-washing area easily accessible to children and adults?
- How are children supported when they are having difficulties?
- How physically active are the children during the day?
- What toys and games are available for children to play with (blocks, puzzles, etc)? Is there a variety?
- Do classroom activities and schedules accommodate all children?
- What daily activities promote creative expression (singing, dancing, reading, making art)?
- Are there regular community outings, such as field trips to the library or museum?
Learn & Grow
- Is this program enrolled in Learn & Grow?
- What level has this program achieved in Learn & Grow?