Director of Administration
Company/Organization: Denali Preschool and Learning Center (DPLC)
Location: Healy, AK
Application Dates: November 3, 2023
Denali Preschool and Learning Center (DPLC) is a 1,900 square foot non-profit childcare and preschool located in Alaska’s interior near Denali National Park and Preserve in the town of Healy. We have many families enrolled in the center and provide community activities that benefit over 250 families of the greater Denali Borough.
- Manager of the daycare’s overall affairs and ultimately responsible to the Board of Directors.
- Contacting state and local regulatory agencies to ensure the center conforms to health, safety, and licensing regulations
- Attending Board meetings, working with the Board to define existing policies of admission, attendance, tuition, and educational goals, and informing board of concerns
- Interview, hire, schedule and manage a team of 6-12 child care workers, including providing opportunities for their professional development and in-service training.
- Plan facility’s annual calendar of events, closures, and monthly staff meetings.
- Help manage grant projects and complete reporting requirements, with assistance from the Finance Officer and Board.
- Oversee facility necessities: fuel supply, overseeing custodial needs, replacing worn facility or classroom supplies, etc.
- Field questions from prospective parents and oversee new parent orientations including- familiarizing parents with facility policies, schedules, fee structure, requirements, etc.
- Collaborating with the Borough and agencies in evaluating children with possible Independent Education Plans (IEP) and providing for their specialized needs.
- Ensure the center adheres to safety requirements: conducting and recording fire drills, maintaining a clean and sanitary workspace, and ensuring the appropriate documentation of any issues with students.
- Act as a child care worker when not fulfilling administrative duties.
Physical and Mental Demands
- The physical demands of this job require frequent standing, walking, sitting, and speaking; specific visual abilities are also required.
- Ability to bend, reach, and occasionally lift up to 50lbs.
- The employee must have the ability to effectively manage the stress of working with small children, students, parents, and other employees representing diverse cultures, personalities, and work styles in a dynamic work environment.
- Must be 21 years of age.
- Educational requirements by the state of Alaska: 12 semester hours of college credit in Early Childhood Development, Child Development, or Child Psychology OR BA or BS degree in an alternate field with a minimum of 3 hours in child development.
- Communication and interpersonal skills needed to address childcare needs, parental concerns, and provide clear verbal and written reports on children’s performance.
- Experience in classroom management; working with children with IEPs , and navigating challenging behaviors while maintaining a positive and professional work environment.
- Desire to create a work and play environment that fosters curiosity, and growth, with an emphasis on developing social and emotional skills
- Ability to pass required background checks
- Mandated reporter training, or ability to obtain
- CPR/First Aid Certified, or ability to obtain
- One year experience working in education, special education, childcare, agency, or in a private school setting.
- Familiarity with Alaska state licensing requirements or a daycare facility- or the desire and ability to do so.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as Individual Education Plans (IEPs), behavior plans, lesson plans, etc., under the direction of a special education teacher.
- Ability to share essential information appropriately with team members to aid in the execution of individual student programs.
- Ability to take direction and follow through on tasks independently.
- Familiarity with various learning styles and educational best practices.
- Basic computer literacy skills including word processing, printing, and e-mail.
Submission InstructionsIf interested, please submit a cover letter, resume or CV, relevant education transcripts, along with names, mailing addresses, and telephone numbers of four individuals who can provide references. Applications can be mailed or emailed to:
Mail: Attn: DPLC Board of Directors
P.O. Box 295 Healy, AK 99743