Preschool Teacher Assistant
Company/Organization: Anchorage Cooperative Perschool
Location: 3031 Latouche St., Anchorage, AK 99508
Application Dates: until filled
Reports to: Lead Teacher
Hours of Work: 35 hours / 8:30-3:30 Monday- Friday (Summer hours vary)
Job Summary: The Assistant Preschool Teacher will work with the Lead Teacher, Director and parents to create a safe, positive and accepting environment where families and children learn together.
CURRICULUM AND CHILDREN
- Assist in the educational, social and emotional development of children under the direction and guidance of the lead teacher.
- Assist in the implementation of classroom curriculum by assisting children individually or in small groups to reinforce learning concepts presented by the lead teacher.
- Provide support for individual students in classrooms, school-yard and field trips to enable them to fully participate in activities.
- Foster developmentally appropriate independence in children encouraging expression of ideas and feelings.
ASSISTANT TEACHER AND CLASSROOM STANDARDS
- Maintain a welcoming, child-centered, developmentally appropriate classroom at all times.
- Know and maintain all Municipality of Anchorage Child Care Licensing standards including:
- Maintain Pediatric First Aid and CPR certification.
- Progress with professional development
- Know the emergency procedures.
- Demonstrate, recognize, and encourage positive social behavior among children and adult workers (such as cooperation, problem solving, taking turns and sharing).
- Help adult workers to improve skills using “teachable moments,” modeling, and reflective evaluation.
- Emphasize the importance of the safety and well-being of children in the classroom to working adults.
- Support the Guidelines and Cooperative Philosophy of the school as outlined in the ACP Handbook.
Our ideal candidate would have 3 years or more of early childhood teaching experience. In addition, a philosophy of play-based learning and the cooperative preschool model is desired. Our ideal candidate will have:
- Current pediatric first aid and CPR
- Four positive written references
- Positive background check
- Working knowledge of Child Care Licensing rules and regulations
- Completion of training hours as required by Child Care Licensing