Have you been searching for child care but unable to find a program to fit your family’s needs? Access to child care continues to be challenging for some families due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. If you are experiencing this challenge like many other Alaskan families, here are some things to consider.
Below are tips for expanding your child care options:
- Call thread. Use our online search tool for a quick search, or call 1-800-278-3723 to speak to a Early Childhood Specialist. thread’s Specialists can assist you in multiple searches until you find the best option for your family. This is a free service available to everyone.
- Expand your search area. Search for a program outside of your zip code to broaden the search. Use zip codes of places you visit often, such as your work or another child’s school.
- Get on the waitlist. If the program you are interested in has a waitlist, get on it as soon as possible. Joining the waitlist can expedite the enrollment process once a spot becomes available.
- Ask your network. Explore your safe social connections and community networks. Talk to relatives, friends, neighbors, and people at your work, school, or place of worship who might also be looking for child care, or to provide options for care.
- Discuss your child care needs with your employer. Talk to your employer about your child care experience. This will open lines of communication about the issue, and you will learn of any flexibility that may exist. Chances are, you’re not alone in struggling to find child care.
- Make a short-term plan. Plan for your immediate needs while you keep looking for a longer-term arrangement.
- Start a business of caring. If you are looking for a new job or opportunity, consider starting a child care business of your own. Learn more about how to get started on the thread website.
To start a referral process with thread, complete an online Child Care Referral Request Form and an Early Childhood Specialist will get back to you.
To learn more about expanding your child care options, visit thread’s Difficulty Finding Care page.