For the Week of June 24 – 28, 2019
- Dispute over special session location continues. Read ADN article here.
- Funding child care strengthens Alaska: Abbe Hensley from Best Beginnings discusses how early care and learning benefits children,
their families, and their communities. Read the ADN article.
- House Budget Moves: House Finance Committee recommended FY20 budget. See the recommended budget here.
- Senate Bill 6 Testimony: Public testimony at last month’s Alaska’s Senate Education Committee meeting. Read more here.
- Senate Bill 6 Details: This bill would create voluntary, universal early education statewide. Read Sen. Kawasaki and Sen. Begich’s letter about SB 6.
- Children’s Caucus Meets: The House Children’s Caucus met to discuss the implications legislation
has on the health and development of children in Alaska. Watch the meeting here.
- Alaskans Take Action: A recent petition drafted by the Alaska Early Childhood Advocacy Group (AECAG) collected more than 1,100 signatures
and was submitted by Sen. Sara Rasmussen. Watch her present the petition here.
Why Early Education is Important (Video)
- Join thread’s Action Center. Stay up-to-date on legislative news affecting early childhood education and receive email alerts when
it’s time to take action. Sign up here.
Don’t Miss What’s Happening Nationally
- U.S. Senator Dan Sullivan has signed on to co-sponsor a new child care bill that supports working families. thread will be working
with Sen. Sullivan’s to provide support to help further advance this legislation. Read more about Sen. Sullivan’s efforts here.
Remember to thank our legislators hard at work for early education!