CDA / Assistant Teacher
Company/Organization: Fairbanks Montessori School
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Application Dates: 10/31/2023
Fairbanks Montessori is looking for a dedicated early educator to work in one of our preschool classrooms. The qualified candidate will have a Child Development Associate credential, excellent time management skills, and a positive, kind approach to working with children, families, and co-workers. Prior experience with the Montessori Method is not required, but the qualified candidate will be excited to learn about this unique model of education and apply that knowledge to the classroom. Our preschool classrooms are mixed ages, and serve children 3-6.
Classroom Assistant Job Description
Position Type: Full Time (37.5 hrs / week) Non-Exempt
Fairbanks Montessori School's mission is:
"To provide exceptional early education in a prepared Montessori classroom, allowing each child to maximize their growth and naturally develop their independence in a nurturing environment."
Classroom assistants are assigned to a specific classroom, and are under the direct supervision of that classroom's Lead Teacher. Classroom assistants foster the comprehensive development of all students. Classroom assistants teach and model respect for the children, their families, fellow staff members, and our community by interacting in a positive, confidential, respectful manner with everyone who comes in contact with our school.
All FMS staff members are expected to report to work on time each day, ensure student safety at all times, and contribute to a positive working environment through open, respectful communication.
The duties of classroom assistants include:
- Monitoring children at all times.
- Maintaining a clean and hygienic classroom and school environment
- Monitoring student behavior and activities during class time such that the teacher can
- provide undisturbed individual lessons. Individual teachers will have their own systems
- and preferences.
- Opening or closing the school.
- Providing activities, supervision, and care of children during Before and After Care
- Attending children at nap time
- Preparation of classroom materials under the direction of the Lead Teacher
- Attending staff meetings
- Attending inservice trainings
- Maintaining staff to child ratios at any time necessary
- Providing training to Schoolwide Assistants and / or relief staff members who will be assuming the Classroom Assistant's role
In addition, Classroom Assistants maintain cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and basic first aid certification, are familiar with FMS emergency procedures, and complete and remain up to date on State of Alaska Mandatory Reporter Training. Classroom Assistants will also perform other duties as requested by their Lead Teacher or the Director.