A Plan for Finding Child Care
Plan ahead and get started in your search by contacting thread for free child care referrals and support resources.
Review thread’s referrals and guide for finding quality child care.
- Health and safety indicators
- Group sizes and ratios in care
- Different child care settings
- Average cost of care
- Family involvement policies
- Early educators’ training and turnover rates
- Learn & Grow levels and practices
Check each program’s compliance history.
Municipality of Anchorage Child Care Licensing
- 907.343.4758 or website
State of Alaska Child Care Licensing
- Northern Alaska: 907.269.4500
- Southeast Alaska: 907.465.4756
- Southcentral Alaska: 907.269.4500
- Statewide: 1.888.268.4632
State of Alaska Department of Education and Early Development (Pre-K, Head Start)
Select the programs that best match your family’s needs.
Call each program and schedule a time to visit.
Take your child along to visit selected programs.
Observe their response to the early educators and the environments.
Choose a program that best fits your family.
Get your child started in care.
Periodically visit your child at the program and asking about their experiences.
Ask about the waitlist if there are no vacancies.