We need your help to fight for our future!
July 03, 2019
This is a critical week for the future of Alaska and we need your help!
Alaska is facing some of the deepest budget cuts in its history for health and human services, including over $8.8 million in early childhood programs
and services. Every member of our community will be affected by a reduction in services—including our youngest residents.
The special session of the State Legislature began today. Legislators have the power to override the vetoes this week!
Ask your legislator to attend the override vote before 11:59 pm on Friday, July 12 in Juneau to secure Alaska’s future!
thread is dedicated to ensuring Alaska’s children have access to quality early education and positive outcomes. This includes a diverse
and robust delivery of services and programs for all of Alaska’s children. When we have access to early literacy, early health screening and education,
we give children a chance to thrive. Quality early learning starts with families and includes access to affordable and quality early education.
If the vetoes stand the impact on early childhood is far reaching.
thread estimates the impact will be:
- More than 1,000 young children will lose access to Early Head Start, Head Start and Public PreK services.
- Roughly 12 of Alaska’s remote and rural communities will be affected.
- More than 250 teachers will lose their jobs in early education programs.
- Best Beginnings will lose all of their State funding which will result in 10,000 fewer children receiving early literacy supports including free books.
- Critical home visiting support will be decreased by eliminating resources for Parents as Teachers which often connects young children to the early
intervention resources they need to get a healthy start.
- Families will be unable to go to work or attend school because they don’t have access to these services and programs. This directly impacts our economy
and puts more stress on families.
Your legislators listened to you earlier this year, and now it’s time to ask them to listen to you again. Watch this video to learn more.
What You Can Do
Contact Your Legislator
Contact your legislator to encourage them to participate in
the override vote before 11:59 pm, Friday, July 12 in Juneau.
There is still time for you to make a difference for Alaska’s young children and families. Thank you for your advocacy!
- Idea that philanthropic sector can fill in budget holes is wishful thinking - Read Homer Tribune Op-Ed
- Why did the veto override fail? - Read ADN Op-Ed
- Time to ACT - A call to action to override the Governor's vetoes - Watch video
- How the Governor's vetoes will impact Alaska's education system - Watch KTVA video
- Early Care & Education: A smart investment with a big return today & tomorrow - Watch video
Back to view all blog posts