thread Staff Accountant
Application Dates: Until filled
thread is a non-profit agency and the statewide Child Care Resource and Referral (CCR&R) Network whose mission is to advance the quality of early education and child development by empowering parents, educating child care professionals and collaborating with our communities. Since 1986 thread has been supporting families with child care referral services and parent education about child development, and also supporting early educators through training and consultation.
The Staff Accountant experienced position provides assistance to staff and supervisors in all finance department matters under the direction of the CFO/ Finance Director, including assisting with financial forecasting, reconciling month/ quarter/ and year end financials, auditing payroll and grant budgeting and financial reporting . This includes but not limited to the following:
- Supports CFO/ Finance Director with posting journal entries in a timely manner and ensuring ledgers and journals are closed in accordance with established procedures in compliance with grants and agency procedures.
- Assists with creating and maintaining the annual budget, grant applications budgets and forecasting of grant expenditures.
- Provides support to the CFO/ Finance Director on financial matters for the Management Team Leadership, the Board Finance Committee and the Board Audit Committee.
- Works closely with CFO/ Finance Director to complete monthly, quarterly and annual audits of all financial records.
- Assists with general ledger analysis and preparation of month and yearend closing entries
- Maintains Fixed Asset schedule tracker.
- Maintains monthly investment account tracker.
- Maintains filing systems for general journals and financial records.
- Audits bi-monthly payroll records for accuracy before processing.
- Ensure compliance with applicable State and Federal employment and payroll laws and regulations and maintain knowledge of applicable legal requirements.
- Ensure compliance with applicable thread policies and procedures related to finance and internal controls.
- Assist CFO/ Finance Director with establishing and maintaining processes, practices, and systems to ensure timeliness and accuracy of financial information.
- Work with Finance Associates on preparing for annual audits to include: finance, workers compensation, and 403b census.
- Work with the CFO/ Finance Director to submit annual Form 5500 and complete other plan testing under the 403b.
- Backup support (as needed) to the Finance Associate Positions and the CFO/Finance Director position when the position is absent or vacated.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, finance, business administration, or related field required.
- Minimum three years’ experience in prior accounting position required.
- Grant Management and non-profit experience required.
- General knowledge of accounting procedures and understanding of GAAP required.
- Understanding of Federal grants management (OMB) and the Uniform Guidance of federal awards preferred.
- Must pass background check.
- Knowledge of finance best practices & regulations required, including IRS, AK Dept. of Labor, and Workforce Development and US DOL.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Ability to plan, set priorities and organize numerous work assignments with limited supervision while meeting deadlines.
- Attention to detail and good record-keeping and mathematical skills.
- Ability to use general office programs including Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Outlook and other agency software tools. High proficiency with QuickBooks software or similar accounting software.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse group of providers, parents, staff and members of the community.
- Demonstrated proficiency in following finance policies, personnel policies, procedures and regulations.
Schedule and Compensation
- Position Hours: Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
- Location: 3350 Commercial Dr. Ste. 203 Anchorage, AK 99501 Position Type: Full Time, 40 hours/week
- Classification: Exempt. Permanent
- Hiring Range: $50,000- $60,000 annually
- Supervisor: CFO/Finance Director
- Supervises: None
Full-Time Benefits: 20 days of PTO (starting), 13 paid holidays, 403b match, Medical, Dental, Vision, Life/ AD&D, and EAP. All premiums covered 100% for employee’s health, dental, vision, life, and EAP. Free thread services.