thread Senior Manager Public Policy
thread is a non-profit agency and the statewide Child Care Resource and Referral (CCR&R) Network whose mission is to advance the quality of early education and child development by empowering parents, educating child care professionals and collaborating with our communities. Since 1986 thread has been supporting families with child care referral services and parent education, and supporting early educators through training and consultation.
The Senior Manager of Public Policy will be responsible for assisting thread with coordinating and implementing public policy strategies and activities that achieve thread’s public policy goals supporting accessible, affordable high-quality child care in Alaska. This position has a primary focus on state and federal level policy, and secondary focus on local policy. The position is part of advocate, legislative tracker, researcher, administrative, and communicator.
- Work closely with the CEO and CMDO to develop, execute and achieve thread’s public policy strategic and annual work plan; and setting up a system for tracking, measuring, analyzing results.
- Coordinate and expand thread’s relationships with public officials and advocates at the federal, state and local level; serve as point of contact for legislative requests; establish process for tracking communications with public officials.
- Research, track, and monitor relevant early childhood education legislation and administration initiatives as assigned; provide counsel and information to thread leadership and others where appropriate.
- Participate in thread’s research projects with partners as requested.
- Support the development and maintenance of data collection and strategic use of data relevant to public policy goals and the larger early childhood education impact on economy, community, etc.
- Draft/update advocacy materials for internal and external audiences including tool kits, policy briefs, action alerts, website content, presentations, etc. ensuring communications are reflective of thread’s core values while informing, inspiring, advocating.
- Work to strengthen thread’s partnership with the early childhood education field and partners on advocacy/policy priorities; support and deliver training initiatives around advocacy for the field.
- Project manage/coordinate thread’s annual legislative visits, arranging meetings, preparing materials, organizing training, supporting advocates, and coordinating follow up.
- Provide administrative support to Board as needed related to public policy work.
- Supervise public policy intern and volunteers as needed.
- Develop and foster child care champions among policy makers.
- Recommend regulation, legislation, and amendments for advancing thread’s public policy goals, with potential of drafting policy.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in Public Policy, Political Science, Business, Communications, Government, or related fields required.
- 2-4 years’ work experience in legislative or regulatory activities, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated management, communication, analytical, creative conceptual thinking, and writing skills.
- Familiarity with Alaska legislature a plus.
- Demonstrated competency in research, writing, public speaking.
- Experience/familiarity with research methods and using data for decision-making.
- Must pass background check.
- Passion and commitment to thread’s mission and the importance of early childhood education.
- Knowledge of early childhood and school-age education programs and services, and community collaboration initiatives.
- Flexibility and adaptability as organizational needs change.
- Strong interpersonal skills required.
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Strong technical writing skills required
- Strong customer service skills required
- Ability to use modern technology to enhance business and customer services
- Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse group of educators, parents, staff and members of the community
- Ability to use database systems and general office programs with comfort and ease including Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Zoom, PowerPoint, Salesforce, shared project management tools, and Outlook.
Schedule & Compensation
Position Hours: Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm, other hours as required
Location: 3350 Commercial Dr. Ste 203 Anchorage, AK 99501
Position Type: Full Time, 40 hours/week
Classification: Non-Exempt, Permanent
Full Time Benefits: 20 days of PTO (starting), 13 paid holidays, 403b match, High-Deductible Health Plan with HSA option (employer contributes $750/year to HSA), Dental, Vision and Life. All premiums covered 100% for employee’s health, dental, vision and life. Free thread services.
How to Apply: Please email a cover letter and resume to [email protected]threadalaska.org with “Senior Manager Public Policy" in the subject line. Open until filled.