Substitute Teacher Aide
Company/Organization: RurAL CAP Child Development Center
Location: 545 E 5th Ave., Anchorage
Application Dates: 4/1/2020
Assists the classroom teacher with implementation of age appropriate, multi-cultural, and anti-biased curriculum that will meet the needs of an assigned group of children.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists the classroom teacher in implementing the program for children in accordance with the policies and philosophy of the center.
- Participates in children's work/play and helps guide children in learning self-help skills.
- Assists classroom teacher with curriculum that respects the needs of individual children. The materials provided will:
- Consider the children's interests, disabilities, special talents and individual style and space of learning.
- Consider the individual in relationship to their cultural and socioeconomic background.
- Help children to become aware of their roles as integral members of the group.
- Assure children are treated with dignity and respect.
- Assists in maintaining classroom in accordance with all applicable health and safety regulations and standards.
- Completes all tasks on the daily opening/closing checklist as appropriate for scheduled shift.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
COMPETENCIES, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Gives full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made and asking questions as appropriate.
- Speaks clearly and communicates information and ideas effectively so others will understand.
- Uses logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
- Ability to read, comprehend, and follow established policies and procedures.
- Ability to manage work time well, prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Ability to exercise good judgement, courtesy and tact.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to establish good rapport with people of diverse cultures and belief systems.
- Must demonstrate sound judgment, professional boundaries, ethics, and ability to maintain confidentiality.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/JOB CONDITIONS:
- Agency is a mandated tobacco, drug and alcohol free workplace.
- Develops and maintains constructive and cooperative working relationships with others.
- Uses computers and computer programs effectively to enter data, create spreadsheets and process information, and, develop documents, and program and training materials.
- Develops specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish work.
- Communicates with others outside the organization, representing the organization to customers, the public, and other external sources in person, in writing, or by telephone or e-mail in keeping with current policies & procedures.
- Must have the ability to operate the following equipment: desktop computer, telephone, copier, PC printer, and fax machine.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly to grasp, type, see, talk, hear, and lift and carry 40 pounds of weight by utilizing proper lifting techniques and working in a safe manner. This position will also be performing physical activities such as climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, stooping, bending, and handling materials.
- Occasionally performs sedentary activities that require sitting for long periods and repetitive use of hands, wrists and arms for handling, positioning, moving materials, and manipulating things.
- Must be in good general health and free from serious physical, mental health and/or substance abuse problems.
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK:
This is a part-time position. Days and hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Work hours
There is not travel associated with this position.
EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS AND REQUIRED EDUCATION:
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Must pass Municipality of Anchorage, state and federal background checks, including fingerprints.
- Must provide a TB screening and basic physical exam within thirty (30) days of hire with follow-up every three (3) years at employee’s expense.
- Must complete and maintain Pediatric CPR and First Aid Training certification at employer’s expense.
- Must be able to provide own transportation to meet work schedule requirements.
- Must attend 24 hours of professional development training annually.
- Must complete a new hire orientation within three months from date of employment.
- Must complete the State of Alaska Health and Safety requirements within three months from date of employment.
- Responsible work ethic with reliable attendance.
- Must keep all matters concerning participants in strictest confidence as required by HIPAA privacy and the 42 CFR, Part II confidentiality regulations.
- Capable of reading, understanding, and following written procedures and policies related to job responsibilities.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Knowledge of child development from prenatal to five years of age.
- Experienced use of MS Office and Outlook.