Public Policy Manager
Application Dates: Open Until Filled
The Public Policy Manager will be responsible for assisting thread with coordinating and implementing public policy strategies and activities that achieve thread’s public policy goals supporting accessible, affordable high-quality child care in Alaska. This position has a primary focus on state and federal level policy, and secondary focus on local policy. The position is part of advocate, legislative tracker, researcher, administrative, and communicator.
- Partner with the CEO and CMDO to develop, execute and achieve thread’s public policy strategic and annual work plan; and setting up a system for tracking, measuring, analyzing results.
- Partner with the CEO to coordinate and expand thread’s relationships with public officials and advocates at the federal, state, and local level to steward champions; serve as point of contact for legislative requests; establish process for tracking communications with public officials.
- Research, track, and monitor relevant early childhood education legislation and administration initiatives as assigned; provide counsel and information to thread leadership and others where appropriate.
- Support the development and maintenance of data and resource management to support public policy goals and the larger early childhood education impact on economy, community, etc.
- Draft/update advocacy materials for internal and external audiences including tool kits, policy briefs, action alerts, website content, presentations, working with marketing to ensure communications are reflective of thread’s core values while informing, inspiring, advocating.
- Partner with the CEO to strengthen thread’s partnership with the early childhood education field and partners on advocacy/policy priorities; support and deliver training initiatives around advocacy for the field.
- Project manage/coordinate thread’s annual legislative visits, arranging meetings, preparing materials, organizing training, supporting advocates, and coordinating follow up.
- Provide administrative support to Public Policy Committee.
- Recommend regulation, legislation, and amendments for advancing thread’s public policy goals, with potential of drafting policy.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in Public Policy, Political Science, Business, Communications, Government, or related fields required.
- 2-4 years’ work experience in legislative or regulatory activities, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated management, communication, analytical, creative conceptual thinking, and writing skills.
- Familiarity with the Alaska legislature a plus.
- Demonstrated competency in research, writing, public speaking.
- Experience/familiarity with using data and research to inform policy decisions.
- Must pass background check.
- Passion and commitment to thread’s mission and the importance of early childhood education.
- Knowledge of early childhood and school-age education programs and services, and community collaboration initiatives.
- Flexibility and adaptability as organizational needs change.
- Strong interpersonal skills required.